SCARLET SINS


Hanna Tsepesh: Hello Scarlet Sins! Thanks so much for accepting this interview and Welcome to THE GATES OF METAL! For those who do not know SCARLET SINS, could you tell us a little how it all started and make a little introduction about yourselves?

Syl: Hi, I'm Sylvya, the vocalist and lyricist for the band. Cris and I founded the band 4 and a half years ago.

Cris: Hey, I’m Cris, I play guitar and write music for the band.

Tanya: Hey, I’m Tanya, the bassist and I’ve been in the band for 3 years now.

El: Olá (Hello in Portuguese), I’m the newbie. I joined 2 years ago and I play drums.

Hanna Tsepesh: What inspired you the most to create the lyrics for the band?

Syl: I draw from life experiences or the things that surround me. It's easier to write when I’m in a dark place. It’s therapeutic.


Hanna Tsepesh: Let’s talk a little bit about you girls: What are your favorite bands? You have any singer/ guitar/bassist and drummer that you admire the most?

Syl: There's so many. I grew listening to hard rock / metal bands like Metallica, Deftones, Alice in Chains, Motley Crue…As for singers I love Janis Joplin, Steven Tyler, Jeff Buckley, Sebastian Bach.

Cris: My favourite band is Metallica, but I also love Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, Alice in Chains and Black Sabbath. My favourite guitarists are Zakk Wylde and Yngwie Malmsteen.

Tanya: There’s so many bass players I admire. But I’d say my top 3 are probably Justin Chancellor (Tool), Cliff Burton (Metallica), and John Campbell (Lamb of God).

El: This question is always hard to answer because I love so many ones for different reasons but Chris Adler/Lamb Of God is a most, Daniel Adair, Tomas Haake/Meshuggah, Dennis Chambers and so many others.

Hanna Tsepesh: I would like to know if you had or have any singing lessons or any other preparation? You have a great voice! I am really surprised with your talent…

Syl: Thank you. I started vocal lessons at the age of 13 and studied with three different teachers throughout the years.

Hanna Tsepesh: The band has a new album called “Scarlet Sins”. I have to say girls I am really surprised I love this album! Scarlet Sins are living proof that girls can make great music and also can rock a lot and sometimes better than many men’s out there! My favorite music’s are: “Drown” and “Reborn”, I think these songs can transmit a lot of feelings! For people who don’t listen yet can you talk about the album and what the band wants to accomplish?

Syl: We're very proud of our first CD. It's all thanks to our producer Richard Chycki who made it possible. He really captured the Scarlet Sins sound and brought out the best in all of us. We just want to keep writing and releasing our music to the world.

Cris: The album carries a lot of pain and grief from the things we were going through at the time it was written so you’ll hear a lot of aggressive and melancholy moments. I’m really proud of it and hope the next one will be just as good or better.

Tanya: We put our blood, sweat and tears into that album and this is why it’s so rewarding for us when people tell us how much they love our music!

El: The plan is to win 4 Grammies with the next album. Haha! All we want to do is have fun and it turns out that people like it and that’s wicked. We work hard for it, but at the end of the day it’s for the love of music.


Hanna Tsepesh: The band feels proud with the final result or you think that miss something? Everything went well at recording studio? It was an easy process?

Syl: We are extremely proud of our first CD. It was definitely a learning experience being in the studio. We had an amazing time working with Rich and we are looking forward to working with him again in the future.

Hanna Tsepesh: How has the response been to the album by the media and fans?

Syl: The response has been great. Everyone has been very supportive and positive.

Cris: The positive feedback has definitely been humbling…

Tanya: People keep asking us when the next album is coming out because they were so excited about the first one.

El: Man, after the first few reviews we got back, it confirmed we’re on the right track!


Hanna Tsepesh: If one of our readers wants to buy your album safely, what they can do?

Syl: It's available directly through us on our website: www.scarletsinsonline.com

El: You can also find us on iTunes or order it at your local music store through cdbaby.com’s distributor, Super D!

Hanna Tsepesh: what is your favorite music in this album and why?

Syl: I love them all because everyone is personal to me, but if I have to choose one, I'd say "Drown".

Cris: My favourite songs are Reborn and Are You Worth It because they’re the most fun to play live for me.

Tanya: My two favourite songs on the album are Fire Inside and No Arguments. Fire Inside is really fun to play live because it’s one of my most challenging songs on bass. No Arguments is such a dark, moody ballad…I love it.

El: My favourite songs to play live would be Broken because we changed it a bit for the live show and there is some cool interaction with the crowd and With You because I love to see all those metal heads soften.

Hanna Tsepesh: The band is thinking about a European tour? You guys have plans to include Portugal in your tour or something?

Syl: Most definitely. We are looking forward to playing the world stages.

Cristina: If our Portuguese fans want us to play there, they need to spread the word about us and we will play there!

El: Hell Yeah. You guys have amazing wines over there!

Hanna Tsepesh: (laughs) Yes we have! Do you want to send any message for the people who going to read this interview?
Tanya: We wanna thank all our fans reading this right now! You are the reason we do this.

El: You guys RAWK!

Cris: Spread the word! Tell all your friends about us!

Syl: Thanks to all you SINNERS. We love you all. Sign up to our mailing list at scarletsinsonline.com to receive the latest SS news.


By: Hanna Tsepesh
To listen to some SCARLET SINS music and for more information go to:
www.myspace.com/scarletsins
www.scarletsinsonline.com