HAMMERFALL




Hanna Tsepesh: Hello Anders Johansson! Thank you so much for accepting this interview and Welcome to THE GATES OF METAL! For those who do not know HammerFall can you tell to us a little bit how everything started? How did emerge the invitation to play in HammerFall?

Anders: Thanks for having me.
Hammerfall started in 1993 by Oscar Dronjak. But it was first in 1997 they got a record deal. First with a small label but then luckily Nuclear blast bought over the rights. I joined in 1999. First as a session drummer when they fired their original guy. I was just to help out and finish a tour but stayed since.

Hanna Tsepesh: The band writes the lyrics first or the band creates the riffs and the melody's to comply with the lyrics?

Anders: Riffs first but sometimes the word-ideas are made simultaneously.

Hanna Tsepesh: What are your favorite bands? Do you have any drummer that you admire the most?



Anders: When I was a kid I listened to jazz and classical music. But when I heard Deep Purple I realized rock was something really really cool. Ian Paice from Purple was my hero for years. I used to try to play like him. Later I had Simon Phillips and Terry Bozzio as my inspiration. There are many good ones from this era.

Hanna Tsepesh: When did you start to play drums? I read that you start to play piano, right? Why did you decide to play drums?

Anders: Yes, first piano. But not so seriously. Drums at 12 but more serious at 13-14. It was when we started our hobby-band I took the drums on more fully.

Hanna Tsepesh: I also read that you are involved in the record label Heptagon Records. Can you tell to us about that?

Anders: Yes, it's my brother and my company. We tried to release all sort of stuff but nowadays we just maintain the records already on the rooster.
www.heptagon.se

Hanna Tsepesh: You are Jens Johansson (Stratovarius keyboard player) brother. You must be very proud of him, right?

Anders: Yes, but for me it's normal to have a brother like him. He is enormously talented thats for sure. A lot of people say he's the number one. You know there is always someone better one migh say...he's that one!
www.janjohansson.org

Hanna Tsepesh: HammerFall have a new album called "No Sacrifice No Victory". For the people who don't listen yet can you talk about "No Sacrifice No Victory" and what is the big difference for you between this album and the previous one? I already listen some songs and I liked a lot!

Anders: This new one is a bit more versatile. But all Hammerfall-records are basic heavy metal in it's pure form. I like this new one a bit better than the previous.



Hanna Tsepesh: The band feels proud with the final result or do you think that something is missing? Everything went well at recording studio? It was an easy process?

Anders: The band is really happy. Me personally, coming from a fusion/jazz background, think it might lack some spontaneity...but we don't want to scare of the Heavy metal fans do we...But I'm happy too.

Hanna Tsepesh: How has the response been to the album by the media and fans?

Anders: Good. People think it's a bit more broad. With mostly strong songs. No fillers.

Hanna Tsepesh: what is your favorite music in this album and? Also, one fan asks me to ask you what is your favorite HammerFall album (apart of this new one)?

Anders: Hard to say. Maybe "Life is now". Just because it's a bit different. I like the Legacy of Kings-album best.

Hanna Tsepesh: The band is thinking about a European tour? Do you guys have plans to include Portugal in your tour or something? You guys have a lot of fans in here, did you know it?

Anders: We are on tour now. Three gigs left. I think we will go anywhere where they want us. Maybe the Portugal promoters didn't have a venue or a date that was fitting with the schedule? These things are always up to the bookers and management.

Hanna Tsepesh: HammerFall reached a lot of things in these years and made a lot of things. Do you think that HammerFall have more things to offer to the fans? How do you see the band in 10 years?

Anders: I don't think it's going to change that much. Oscar, who writes the music, is very dedicated to heavy metal and he will not change.

Hanna Tsepesh: Do you want to send any message for your fans out there?

Anders: Thanks for reading. And listening.

Hanna Tsepesh: Thanks o much for your answers and time. THE GATES OF METAL, wishes the entire band a great success with"No Sacrifice No Victory"! We hope to see you guys very soon in here.

Anders: Thank you! Hope so too.

By: Hanna Tsepesh

To listen to some HAMMERFALL music's and for future information's go at:
www.myspace.com/hammerfall
www.hammerfall.net/