DAVID ELLEFSON ( Megadeth, F5 , Hail)


Hanna Tsepesh: Hello David Ellefson! Thanks so much for accepting this interview and Welcome to THE GATES OF METAL! For those who do not know you could tell us a little how it all started for you in your musician career? You are ex-Megadeth member, right?

David Ellefson: I started playing music on keyboards by age eight and then saxophone in the fifth grade in school. That is where I got my early formal music training. I discovered the bass guitar when I was about 11 years old and haven't looked back. Rock n roll bands like KISS, Bachman Turner Overdrive and others were the impetus for me to start bands. I moved to Los Angeles in 1983 at age 18 and that began the career that most of the world knows me as today.

Hanna Tsepesh: what was the best moment for you with Megadeth?

David Ellefson: There were many good ones. Playing Castle Donington in 1988, Rock in Rio in 1991 as well as making records like "Peace Sell." and "Countdown To Extinction" are all good memories.


Hanna Tsepesh: What are your favorite bands? You have any musician that you admire the most?

David Ellefson: I have many. I like everyone from KISS to RUSH. IRON MAIDEN to AC/DC. Of course I admired the work of bass players but I liked good songs, great riffs and many other musicians, too. Guys like Angus Young, Neil Peart and singers like Rob Halford were landmark artists who inspired me along the way.


Hanna Tsepesh: I would like to know what age you start to play bass and why you pick this instrument? You play another instrument?

David Ellefson: I loved the sound, look and total vibe of the instrument. I liked what Gene Simmons did with the bass. I liked what BTO bassist CJ Turner did with his parts. In fact, he had a cool Rickenbacker 4001 that I loved. When I saw Geddy Lee playing one of those I immediately thought he was cool and checked out RUSH.
I did learn how to play guitar shortly afterward, around age 13, and have continued that, too. But, I love to record and perform with the bass. To me, it is the heaviest instrument on the planet!


Hanna Tsepesh: at the moment you have 2 bands, right? One called F5 and another HAIL. For people who don't know this bands yet can you talk about them?

David Ellefson: F5 has been a mainstay band for me that formed in 2003. We have two albums out called "A Drug For All Seasons" and "The Reckoning". You can check it online at www.myspace.com/f5thebandaz or www.f5theband.com
HAIL! is a band with me, Tim "Ripper" Owens, Andreas Kisser and Jimmy DeGrasso. It is a total blast and tons of fun. We play some songs from our own catalogs of work as well as fill in some great covers songs from bands that inspired us as teenagers. The crowd loves it and we go to far reaching places on the planet to play, which makes it very special and unique. You can look that band up online at www.myspace.com/hailtheworld or at www.hailtheworld.com


Hanna Tsepesh: What are the future plains for these bands? They will release something in the future?

David Ellefson: F5 will be writing new music in the coming months. HAIL! has a ton of stuff on YouTube and may have a release of some sort of live DVD in the future.



Hanna Tsepesh: what is your favorite album (from one band that you like it) and why?
David Ellefson: I like "Peace Sells.", "Countdown to Extinction" and "Cryptic Writings" as a few of my favorites from that band. I like both the F5 records and the album "Lethal Agenda" from a band I have called TEMPLE OF BRUTALITY.


Hanna Tsepesh: One of your bands is thinking about a European tour? You guys have plains to include Portugal in your tour or something?

David Ellefson: We have been in touch a promoter in Portugal about HAIL! Not sure when we will be there on tour...


Hanna Tsepesh: What is your personal opinion about metal in our days? Did you think is better or poor?

David Ellefson: Music always changes so I try to keep an open mind to all of it, even if I don't like it. We all have our favorites because it is what we know from certain periods of our lives. However, all things must grow and move forward and there are a ton of bands who were inspired by my work over the years that are now out there doing their own thing and creating something new, just the way me and my generation did from what we heard in bands like JUDAS PRIEST and BLACK SABBATH. To me, there is room for all of it.

Hanna Tsepesh: Do you want to send any message for the people who going to read this interview?

David Ellefson: Thank you for hanging with me all these years. I hope to be back in Portugal soon to play live for you all again.


Hanna Tsepesh: Thanks o much for your answers and time. THE GATES OF METAL wishes the entire band a great success with your 2 bands! We hope to see you very soon in here.

David Ellefson: Great, thank you.


By: Hanna Tsepesh
To listen to some HAIL or F5 music's and for future information's go at:
www.myspace.com/hailtheworld
www.hailtheworld.com
www.myspace.com/f5thebandaz
www.f5theband.com

David Ellefson profiles:
www.myspace.com/davidellefson1
www.davidellefson.com