SILENTIUM











Hanna Tsepesh: Moro Riina! Thanks a lot for accepting this interview! For the first question, can you tell us a little bit about SILENTIUM story? You guys started in 1995, right?

Riina: Yes, that’s true, although I wasn’t in the band at that time. The guys wanted to form a band after their first effort Funeral was buried, and so Silentium was born. At first they played covers from bands like My Dying Bride and slowly started to make their own material and eventually got a record deal, I guess the rest is history? And can be read on our website in the biography section.

Hanna Tsepesh: What are the inspirations to create the lyrics for SILENTIUM?

Riina: Matti writes 99, 9 % of our lyrics. I think there’s only one song in Silentium’s history that has someone else’s lyrics, and that’s La Fin Du Monde on Amortean. The lyrics in that one are mine. I’ll try and answer on Matti’s behalf, I hope he doesn’t mind. Matti is a very knowledgeable person who reads everything from poetry to dictionaries, as well as studies such things as history and archeology. He is very well posted with the global situation and like me, is a very emotional person who’s easily affected by cruel, senseless events. From all of those and his personal experience and emotions, is where, on my view, he creates his beautiful, touching and truly artistic lyrics.

Hanna Tsepesh: That is very cool! Let’s talk a little bit about you, if you don’t mind! What are your favorite bands?

Riina: My favorite bands.. Well, number one is Led Zeppelin! I also like Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull.. pretty much all the ‘oldies but goldies’. Opeth is one of my favorites, as well as Tori Amos, Billy Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald. Lately I’ve been listening to Ayreon a lot. Arjen Lucassen is one amazing man!

Hanna Tsepesh: Do you have some kind of preparations like singing classes or something? Any musician inspired you to start? Since what age did you start to sing? You have great voice, very melodic and “soft”! My congratulations for you!

Riina: Yes, I started taking private piano and singing lessons at the age of 7 or 8 I guess? I have also studied drama (theater) and trained my voice in stage expression too. Now I haven’t studied any music in years or had any singing lessons. Nobody really inspired me to start per say, it was always just something I felt drawn to, I must have been a pain in the ass kid when I would sing along to every song on the radio, even when I had no idea what song it was (Laughs). Thank you so much Hanna for your kind words, they made me really happy!

Hanna Tsepesh: You are very welcome Riina, it is the truth! Beside the music what do you do in your free times?

Riina: I work full time; I play with my dog and exercise. I love spending time with my friends, of whom I am very grateful for. I also cook, quite well actually, if I do say so my self. And of course, listen to a lot of music! I’m currently living with a friend of mine and I find it so refreshing to listen to somebody else’s cd’s that you know nothing about! Venturing in the world of music.

Hanna Tsepesh: About your new album “Amortean”, great work in here I liked very much! I liked a lot the melody around all the music’s and sometimes I feel very magic like a different world or something… you guys create a great atmospheric! For our readers that don’t know this album yet, can you talk about it? For you what is the difference between this album and the last one?

Riina: The new album revolves around themes of love and death, actually the word ‘Amortean’ is a mixture of those two. The album is pure Silentium, but was produced by Kärtsy Hatakka of Waltari, which added to the result. The last album was composed by Sami Boman solely, the new one has songs from Juha Lehtioksa, Sami Boman and one of them is written by me.

Hanna Tsepesh: This album was produced by Kärtsy Hatakka (Waltari member), how was to work with him? Did you guys learn anything with this experience? Can you tell us a little bit about the studio recording too?

Riina: Working with Kärtsy was both interesting and productive. He had some really useful new ideas and had a lot to do with clarifying the sound and song structures. He’s a very innovative person whom I regard very highly as a musician.

Hanna Tsepesh: The album cover is cool too, seems like 2 sides…can you help us to understand the cover art?

Riina: Yes, the album cover represents two sides. Love and Death. Hate and understanding. We are all very pleased with the work of Tuomo Povelainen!
Hanna Tsepesh: About concerts, can you tell us some dates/places for our readers to know it if they want to see the band performing live. By the away, there’s any future plan to come to Portugal again?

Riina: We have been supporting Swallow the Sun here in Finland for four gigs, today being the last one. More dates can be found on our website www.silentivm.com. We would absolutely love to come back to Portugal! We had an amazing time when we were there last, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank not only our Portuguese fans, but the awesome dudes of Hunting Cross who were our supporting act on that tour. Basically, it all comes down to money, so if you really want to see us there, put the pressure on local venues and event organizers, with a joint effort, anything is possible!

Hanna Tsepesh: Wonderful, we are happy to know that you like a lot Portugal and your fans in here too! If someone in Portugal or outside of Portugal wants to buy your new album, what can they do?

Riina: The album should be out internationally at the end of January. The album should be available for order also through the internet, with most online record stores. If all else fails, you can always contact our label, through them it can most definitely be delivered.

Hanna Tsepesh: Do you want to send any message for our readers about SILENTIUM and for your fans around the world?

Riina: Absolutely. We appreciate your interest, support and love for our music immensely. You are the people who make it possible for us not just to express our emotions and experiences but to share them. This will never be forgotten. We will keep putting our best effort forward in our music to honor your devotion. Thank you.

Hanna Tsepesh: Thanks a lot for your answers Riina and your time! THE GATES OF METAL wish the band a great 2009 with lots of success and good luck for your future concerts! Hope to see SILENTIUM in Portugal very soon…

Riina: I hope to see us there soon, too! Thank you for the interview, I wish all the best for all the fans as well as those who think we are purely crap, for the new and exciting year of 2009! Kisses!

Hanna Tsepesh: Thanks a lot Riina, we wish you the same!


By: Hanna Tsepesh

To listen some SILENTIUM songs and for further informations go at:
www.myspace.com/silentiumband
http://www.silentivm.com/